Obishikokaang Resource Corporation (ORC) is seeking a Silviculture Forester who will be part of the Corporation’s professional forestry team responsible for planning and forest management activities. As such, the Silviculture Forester will oversee Lac Seul Forest operations, both in the office and the field. Will also be responsible for the management of all Silviculture programs associated with the managed licenses. These Programs and activities include the following: reforestation, site preparation, stocking surveys and cone and seed inventories. In addition, the management of a data-base including the legal reporting of all activities is a critical component of this position. You will work in concert with other managers and foresters in administration, finances, planning and harvesting departments.
The Silviculture Forester’s responsibilities will include:
- Development of all Silviculture components of Forest Management Plan Annual Work Schedules and Annual Reports.
- Designing, specifying or approving post-harvest silviculture prescriptions and treatments.
- Being a Liaison to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry regarding all Silviculture related aspects/ issues.
- Development and submissions of Annual Herbicide Plans and Reports
- Manage ArcGIS/ArcMap data bases pertaining to Legal Planning and Reporting of all activities is a crucial component of this position
- Administration, financial and operational planning for all silviculture programs/ activities.
- Supervision of all silviculture activities which include site preparation, debris management, aerial seeding, stock production, tree planting, cone collection and processing, manual/chemical tending, thinning, prescription/ tending/ Free-to –Grow surveys.
- Responding to public inquiries.
- Must be capable of directing, supervising and managing contractors and staff.
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in forestry or natural resource sciences
- Silviculture related certifications (i.e. herbicide applicator’s license)
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience managing silviculture programs / silviculture data bases
- Experience working with ArcGIS/ ArcMaps.